Superior Court of California, County of El Dorado

Our Mission

To preserve and enhance the rule of law in El Dorado County by providing all persons a fair, efficient, and accessible forum for resolving disputes, protecting public safety, and righting wrongs.

Identity Theft Process

If you believe you are a victim of identity theft, the information listed below will help you.

  1. Contact the California Department of Justice – Office of the Attorney General – for an information packet.
  2. Contact your local law enforcement that has jurisdiction over your actual residence. Law enforcement will take a police report and provide you with a copy of the report. They will conduct an investigation or refer the matter to law enforcement where the crime was committed. (PC §530.6)
  3. Complete and file with the court the original and three copies of the Petition for Certificate of Identity Theft (form CR-151). Include a self-addressed stamped envelope for return of filed copies of the Petition. [PC §530.6(b)]
  4. Serve the District Attorney’s Office where the crime was committed with a filed copy of the Petition for Certificate of Identity Theft (form CR-151) and then file a proof of service with the court reflecting the date the District Attorney’s Office was served.
  5. Provide Revenue Recovery with a filed copy of the Petition. Revenue Recovery will change the status of the collection case to “disputed” which will temporarily stop all collections efforts on the case being disputed until after a court hearing is held and a determination is made by the court.
  6. Once the court receives the proof of service of #4 above, a hearing date will be set called “Identity Hearing.” You will be notified by mail of this hearing date. If proof of service is not received by the court within 30 days of the filing of the Petition, Revenue Recovery will be notified by the court to resume collection efforts.
  7. If the court finds you factually innocent, the court will complete and file a Certificate of Identity Theft: Judicial Finding of Factual Innocence (form CR-150) [PC §530.6(c)]. You will receive a certified copy for your records. The court will provide a copy to Revenue Recovery. Revenue Recovery will remove any association with you on the case being collected on.
  8. Follow through on process required for California Department of Justice (see #1). Once all proper paperwork is submitted to the Department of Justice, they will verify your identity against DMV records. Upon completion of this process the Department of Justice will register you as a victim of identity theft.

Resources for Identity Theft

Clerk's Office Phone Numbers

  • Placerville Main Street Branch
    • Main Line: (530) 621-6426
    • Family Law: (530) 621-6726
    • Juvenile: (530) 621-6710
  • Placerville Building C Branch
    • Traffic - (530) 621-7470
    • Criminal - (530) 621-7464
  • Placerville Fair Lane Branch
    • Probate / Guardianships / Conservatorships / LPS Conservatorships - (530) 621-7470
    • Juvenile - (530) 621-7470
  • Cameron Park Branch
    • Civil/ Civil Harassment / Small Claims / Unlawful Detainers: (530) 621-5867
  • South Lake Tahoe Branch
    • Civil / Juvenile / Family Law / Probate: (530) 573-3075
    • Traffic / Small Claims / Criminal: (530) 573-3044

Placerville Building C Courthouse