To preserve and enhance the rule of law in El Dorado County by providing all persons a fair, efficient, and accessible forum for resolving disputes, protecting public safety, and righting wrongs.
Free Online Step by Step Help
I-CAN!™ Legal is a free online application that will fill out court forms for you by asking you simple questions and putting your answers on the forms in the correct place. I-CAN!™ Legal will also print instructions to tell you what to do with your forms, and how the court process works
Click here to begin using I-CAN!™ Legal.
Legal Self-Help Center Services
California Courts Online Self Help Center
Please visit the self-help page on the California Courts Online Self Help Center website which has a wealth of information regarding a variety of legal issues including videos to help people resolve small claims, unlawful detainer, debt collection, and civil harassment disputes. The videos are available on the following links:
- Small Claims – http://www.courts.ca.gov/20129.htm (available in English, Spanish, Russian, and Vietnamese)
- Unlawful Detainer (Eviction) - http://www.courts.ca.gov/20130.htm (available in English, Spanish, Russian, and Vietnamese)
- Debt Collection - http://www.courts.ca.gov/24610.htm (available in English, Spanish, and Vietnamese)
- Civil Harassment - http://www.courts.ca.gov/20131.htm (available in English, Spanish, and Vietnamese)
Legal Self-Help Center staff cannot give legal advice or provide representation in court. Staff assist both sides of the case equally. The emphasis of the Legal Self-Help Center is to provide legal information and education, not legal strategy and advice. The staff of the Legal Self-Help Center provides information about procedure; substantive law and choices litigants may have, thereby allowing litigants to make informed decisions about their case. Services are available to all self-represented parties and are free.
Many cases involve serious and, often time, complex legal issues. You should consider consulting with an attorney before you make the choice to represent yourself.
What kinds of court cases does the self-help center handle?
Family Law Facilitator's Office Assistance
- Provide education materials to parents concerning the court process of establishing parentage and establishing, modifying and enforcing child and spousal support.
- Distribute necessary court forms and voluntary declarations of paternity and assistance in completing the forms.
- Prepare support calculations based on statutory guidelines.
- Provide referrals to the local child support agency, family court services and other community resources that provide services for parents and children.
- Provide assistance on child support issues.
- Additional information on the Family Law Facilitator services
Self-Represented Litigant Clinic Assistance
- Family Law
- Dissolution of Marriage
- Parentage Actions
- Child Support, Custody, Visitation
- Restraining Orders; Domestic Violence, Civil Harassment, Elder Abuse
- Evictions; Landlord/Tenant
- Debt Collection
- Small Claims Actions
- Other civil matters
Family Law Information Center Assistance
- Provide assistance to parties in preparing or responding to petitions for dissolution (divorce).
- Provide assistance to parties in finalizing their divorce (obtaining a final judgment).
- Provide assistance to parties initiating and responding to Orders to Show Cause and Notices of Motion (how to get interim orders for control of property, use of vehicles, assignment of responsibility for payment of debts, etc.).
- Provide assistance to parties in initiating and responding to Change of Venue Motions.